Business Beyond Borders Podcast Episode #11 – Alicia Navarro, CEO and Co-Founder of Skimlinks
This week on the Business Beyond Borders podcast, I interviewed Alicia Navarro – CEO and Co-Founder of London-based Skimlinks.
Skimlinks is a content monetization platform, that helps online publishers make money and gain insights from their commerce-related content. Alicia launched her company in 2006 under a different guise – it began as a social decision-making tool, and evolved several times before it became Skimlinks.
Tune in to my interview with Alicia to find out:
- Her experience moving to London as a penniless entrepreneur to work on her startup idea
- How she pivoted her business three times before arriving at the idea of Skimlinks
- How her product management background helped her to pitch her business idea countless times and improve it everytime she was rejected
- How she managed to raise a seed round in the midst of the 2008 financial crisis
- How Skimlinks now facilitates more than $1 billion in sales for its publishing clients every year
- How Skimlinks leveraged its existing client based to win new clients and expand into the US
- The decision-making process that Alicia used to set up an office in San Francisco and then eventually move it to New York
- How Skimlinks’ company culture began organically, and the steps Alicia took to codify and embed it more deeply into the business over time
I’d describe Alicia as a super-smart, super personable, “geek girl” and born serial entrepreneur. She won a university medal in computing, but instead of becoming a corporate gun, she started her own thing …. A number of times.
She’s fast-paced, she’s flexible and she’s resilient. When things get tough Alicia takes a different direction, but she never gives up. And she doesn’t see being female as any kind of impediment to her success.
I was inspired and humbled to hear Alicia talk about building her company – starting while she was living out of a suitcase in London,and where she has taken Skimlinks from there.
There are so many relevant and pithy bits to this interview – it’s essential listening for anyone, male or female who’s on the entrepreneurial journey.
If you’re a female entrepreneur thinking of taking the next step and launching your business on the international stage, check out our Girls Going Global campaign. We’re awarding one lucky winner a full scholarship to the International Business Accelerator.
Applications close Friday 20 April – get yours in today!
Author: Cynthia Dearin
Cynthia Dearin is an international business strategist, advisor, keynote speaker and author of Amazon best-seller Camels, Sheikhs and Billionaires: Your Guide to Business Culture in the Middle East and North Africa. With 18 years of international experience, as an Australian diplomat and management consultant, she is the Founder and Managing Director of Dearin Associates and the International Business Accelerator that helps clients to access opportunities in fast-growing international markets around the world.