Business Beyond Borders Podcast Episode #7 – Gemma Manning, Businesswoman, Author, Speaker and Strategic Marketing Expert
To mark the launch of our #GirlsGoingGlobal campaign this month, we’re interviewing successful female entrepreneurs every week throughout March, to coincide with International Women’s Day and celebrate the successes of women all around the world.
In the first of our interviews with female powerhouses, I had the pleasure of interviewing Gemma Manning – a serial entrepreneur and recognised business leader who knows how to stay ahead of the game.
Over the past 10 years, Gemma has successfully established two businesses with international reach—Manning & Co, a full-service strategic marketing consultancy, and Gemstar Technology, a launch-pad for Australian start-ups and innovators in Singapore and South-East Asia.
Tune in to my interview with Gemma to find out:
- The makings of her international business career, and the experiences that have shaped her global journey
- How, and why she switched from a corporate job to start her own company (hint – motherhood was a defining factor!)
- The difficulties, and triumphs she faced throughout expanding her company and moving to Singapore – as a single mother of two
- How she juggles her time, between parenting and running two businesses, with a third venture on the way
- Her advice for businesses expanding into Singapore, particularly the lessons she has learned from negotiating partnerships
- Her plans to help disadvantaged women from around the world access education, training and mentoring, through her newest startup Light Years
Gemma is one impressive lady and was fascinating to interview. She became a senior marketing executive as a twenty-something and started a company before she turned 30, with a one-year-old in tow.
In 2017, Gemma moved from Sydney to Singapore so that she could run Gemstar from Singapore … what’s amazing here is that she made the move as a single parent, took her two girls with her and continued their education via distance learning (it’s worth tuning in just to hear how she managed it).
When you listen to Gemma you hear vivaciousness, energy and a gift for story-telling, but also real grit, determination and drive to succeed. I appreciated her openness about how tough business can be, especially for women in the international space and many of the things she said resonated with me as a female business owner.
If you’re a female entrepreneur thinking of taking the next step and launching your business on the international stage, check out our Girls Going Global campaign. We’re awarding one lucky winner a full scholarship to the International Business Accelerator.
Author: Cynthia Dearin
Cynthia Dearin is an international business strategist, advisor, keynote speaker and author of Amazon best-seller Camels, Sheikhs and Billionaires: Your Guide to Business Culture in the Middle East and North Africa. With 18 years of international experience, as an Australian diplomat and management consultant, she is the Founder and Managing Director of Dearin Associates and the International Business Accelerator that helps clients to access opportunities in fast-growing international markets around the world.