Business Beyond Borders Podcast Episode #9 – Sheba Nandkeolyar, Multicultural Marketing Expert
As part of our #GirlsGoingGlobal campaign this month, we’re interviewing successful female entrepreneurs every week throughout March to celebrate the successes of women all around the world.
Our guest this week is Sheba Nandkeolyar – Founder and CEO of MultiConnexions, National Chair of the Australia India Business Council, Board Member the International Advertising Association (IAA) Australia Chapter and Board Member of the Australia India Council.
Born and raised in India, Sheba moved to Australia 17 years ago and established her own independent multicultural marketing agency, MultiConnexions. She is passionate about the notion of 50:50 in business and believes that women should contribute more actively to the business world. As the Founder and Chair of Women in Business Chapter at Australia India Business Council (AIBC), Sheba plays an active role in linking women in business across Australia and India, in addition to mentoring and promoting women in business initiatives.
Tune in to my interview with Sheba to find out:
- How Sheba landed a job in Australia when she first arrived as a migrant woman with a young family
- Her insights into the Indian economy and whether the predictions of its growth are realistic and achievable
- How women’s empowerment in India goes in hand with the country’s new policies and reforms, and whether it will encompass a better future for women entrepreneurs
- How growing up in India with very traditional values has influenced Sheba’s independence as a woman
- Her experience moving to Australia with a young family and aspirations of re-starting her career
- Her thoughts on the impact that cultural differences have on marketing and business objectives
- Sheba’s advice to women, particularly migrant women who are looking to establish a business or expand their business abroad
Sheba’s watchwords are “flexibility and adaptability”. I believe that these qualities, combined with an outgoing personality and willingness to take a risk have helped her to take the road less travelled by and shape an extraordinary life.
Sheba defied traditional expectations about the “proper” career and lifestyle for an Indian woman, completing an MBA, marrying for love and moving to another country, far from her family. She then went on to build a highly successful international business and become an influential member of Australia’s Indian community.
I found her enthusiasm infectious – I’m sure you will too.
If you’re a female entrepreneur thinking of taking the next step and launching your business on the international stage, check out our Girls Going Global campaign. We’re awarding one lucky winner a full scholarship to the International Business Accelerator.
Applications close Friday 20 April – get yours in today!
Author: Cynthia Dearin
Cynthia Dearin is an international business strategist, advisor, keynote speaker and author of Amazon best-seller Camels, Sheikhs and Billionaires: Your Guide to Business Culture in the Middle East and North Africa. With 18 years of international experience, as an Australian diplomat and management consultant, she is the Founder and Managing Director of Dearin Associates and the International Business Accelerator that helps clients to access opportunities in fast-growing international markets around the world.