In the first of our interviews with female powerhouses, I had the pleasure of interviewing Gemma Manning – a serial entrepreneur and recognised business leader who knows how to stay ahead of the game.
Over the past 10 years, Gemma has successfully established two businesses with international reach—Manning & Co, a full-service strategic marketing consultancy, and Gemstar Technology, a launch-pad for Australian start-ups and innovators in Singapore and South-East Asia.
Tune in to my interview with Gemma to find out:
• The makings of her international business career, and the experiences that have shaped her global journey
• How, and why she switched from a corporate job to start her own company (hint – motherhood was a defining factor!)
• The difficulties, and triumphs she faced throughout expanding her company and moving to Singapore – as a single mother of two
• How she juggles her time, between parenting and running two businesses, with a third venture on the way
• Her advice for businesses expanding into Singapore, particularly the lessons she has learned from negotiating partnerships
• Her plans to help disadvantaged women from around the world access education, training and mentoring, through her newest startup Light Years
Gemma is one impressive lady and was fascinating to interview. She became a senior marketing executive as a twenty-something and started a company before she turned 30, with a one-year-old in tow.
In 2017, Gemma moved from Sydney to Singapore so that she could run Gemstar from Singapore … what’s amazing here is that she made the move as a single parent, took her two girls with her and continued their education via distance learning (it’s worth tuning in just to hear how she managed it).
When you listen to Gemma you hear vivaciousness, energy and a gift for story-telling, but also real grit, determination and drive to succeed. I appreciated her openness about how tough business can be, especially for women in the international space and many of the things she said resonated with me as a female business owner.
I know you’re going to love this interview.
We’re excited to hear that you’re considering going global. Tell us a bit about your international expansion goals and a member of our team will get in touch.
Keep in touch!
Get the latest insights into international market entry.